Flip Through

Sunday, August 01, 2010

We be reading

8:04pm, Florida time: Weaving the Visions is finished! An excellent collection of essays; I'd recommend it to anyone interested in women's critiques of mainstream religion or theories of goddess religion.


Chugging along with First Rider's Call. Kristen Britain is a very enjoyable fantasy writer. Her world-building isn't significantly different from typical medieval-style fantasy, but her plots and characters are enjoyable enough that it doesn't really matter. I'm quite a bit behind as far as the Green Riders go, since Green Rider was released in 1998, and there's another book after First Rider's Call--The High King's Tomb--AND there is a fourth being released next year, Blackveil. I have quite a bit of catching up to do! But I only bought the first book a few months ago in a used bookstore, and then got the second in a hardback first edition at the amazing St. Petersburg antique book fair. I like fantasy and though I definitely enjoy authors who branch out and use myth bases beyond the European (see N.K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms for a FABULOUS example), the Green Rider books are fun and fast-paced, and Karigan is an engaging heroine.


Unfortunately I will likely not be finished with First Rider's Call tonight, as I made a trip to the bookstore today and have been sidetracked by a new trade of Astonishing X-Men. But at least I got all my grading done! Happy reading, folks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...