Flip Through

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Book Meme: Parts 16 and 17

Part 16--Favorite poem or collection of poetry: Hm. I am not much of a poetry fan, that is, I don't actively seek out collections, but I do have definite likes and dislikes. I like a lot of older poetry--Yeats, Keats and Shelley, both Brownings. I also love Billy Collins, who was poet laureate a few years back. I love Gwendolyn Brooks. And I love Thomas Hardy's poems--that's right, he wrote poetry! Not just insanely depressive-yet-transcendent novels. After Jude the Obscure was published, he was so shaken by the general reaction that he stopped writing novels and wrote poetry until he died. This is one of my favorites of his:



"The Voice" by Thomas Hardy




Woman much missed, how you call to me, call to me


Saying that now you are not as you were


When you had changed from the one who was all to me


But as at first, when our day was fair




Can it be you that I hear? Let me view you, then


Standing as when I drew near to the town


Where you would wait for me: yes, as I knew you then


Even to the original air-blue gown!




Or is it only the breeze in its listlessness


Traveling across the wet mead to me here


You ever being dissolved to wan wistlessness


Heard no more again, far or near?




Thus I, faltering forward


Leaves around me falling


Wind oozing thin through the thorn from norward


And the woman, calling.






My favorite poem, PERIOD, is "Merlin" by Geoffrey Hill:




I will consider the outnumbering dead


For they are the husks of what was rich seed.


Now, should they be gathered together to be fed,


They would outstrip the locusts' covering tide.




Arthur, Elaine, Mordred: they are all gone


Among the raftered galleries of bone.


By the long barrows of Logres they are made one


And above their city stands the pinnacled corn.






Part 17--Favorite story or collection of stories (short stories, novellettes, etc.): This is a bit harder. What comes to mind when I hear "story" and "story collection" is kids' books--Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows, Brambly Hedge, etc. And I do love a number of those--especially animal stories, obviously. As far as "adult" stories go, a favorite collection is a selection by Kate Chopin, collected in one of my editions of The Awakening (yes, I have two). It includes "The Storm", "The Story of an Hour", and "The 'Cadian Ball". Also in the mode of idiosyncratic editions, my copy of At the Mountains of Madness also contains some of my favorite Lovecraft stories: "The Dreams in the Witch House", "The Shunned House", and "The Statement of Randolph Carter". The Compass Rose is an excellent collection of Ursula K. LeGuin's stories; The Adventures of Alyx collects all the disparate Alyx tales by Joanna Russ. And of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Neil Gaiman's fabulous Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things.


(the "tales of terror" bit ain't just a tagline)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...