Flip Through

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Thank you, grilled cheesus!

Upon further reflection and reading, I'm suspecting that the "Grilled Cheesus" episode of Glee over which I was (and still am, sort of) rather het up is actually a prank on mainstream Christianity.


Here's why: the Finn plotline, which, lest we forget, ONLY the audience sees, is basically a Christian's wet dream--he's getting exactly what he wants with minimal effort. Finn gets to be quarterback and feel up his girlfriend, all via praying to a grilled cheese sandwich! Since none of the other clubbers see Finn's plotline, the audience gets to watch him act like an asshole: privileged, narcissistic, and looking out for himself. His plotline oozes prosperity gospel.

(why am I crossing myself to a sandwich? Because I don't know fuck-all about the various sects of Christianity, perhaps?)

If this is the case and Falchuck meant to make fun of people like Quinn's parents (who seem to embody the very worst of ANY stripe of Christianity), I still don't think it was done very well. But at least now I can have a giggle . Laughing is good for blood pressure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...