Flip Through

Friday, November 05, 2010

In which our heroine falls in love

Usually my ladyboners are reserved for things like Robert Downey, Jr.'s abs and each new piece of Tron: Legacy footage that emerges. However, this one is occurring due to something a bit closer to home. You see, my dear manfriend is applying to various medical schools and presumably this time next year we will be somewhere that is not Trampa, Florida. If you've ever been to Tampa, you know why I'm so happy; though I will miss my friends and warm weather dearly, this is just really not where I want to spend my primo years.


So that's part of the titillation--leaving the Bay behind. Another part is where we might be going. His, and now my, top two schools are located in Des Moines, Iowa, and Cleveland, Ohio. Oh Diana! you say. The Midwest? The HEARTLAND? You're a coastal elite! How will you survive without mass quantities of water around you at all times? How will you survive the...snow??! As for water, yes, Des Moines has little to offer; Cleveland, however, is located on Lake Erie! Snow, well, from my mother's experience and what I've read, acclimation only takes a few months. I'll get over it.


And you know why I'll get over it? Know why I suddenly have a hard-on for the Midwest? Cleveland is consistently ranked one of the most livable cities in the country and Des Moines is getting there. Both have higher average salary rates and lower costs of living than anywhere in Florida. Cleveland's public transit system was ranked the best in the country in 2007 (and you all know how I feel about public transit). Des Moines has a great ape trust AND was ranked "Best Place for Businesses and Careers" by Forbes in 2010! Both are far bluer than even the bluest area of Florida (Miami)! Cleveland has Drew Carey!

(If you can't dazzle, wear 'em down)

Ok, that's it. You've outed me. Despite its many, many flaws, I love The Drew Carey Show. And that is why it's now my new dream to make Cleveland, Ohio, my intermediate step on the road north of the border, with Des Moines being an extremely close second. Heartland here we come!

2 comments:

Carla Schmidt Holloway said...

I hear good things about Des Moines, though I've never been there. Except central Iowa is flatter than my chest, so if scenery is a thing for you, probably check out Cleveland. :D

Diana said...

Heh. I'm ok with flat, but the lack of water does concern me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...