Flip Through

Monday, January 24, 2011

Further exercises in creative definition

Oh yes, it's that time again! Time for me to indulge my love of Captcha-generated non-words. Let's do this!

  • Pecocog: proper noun. An obscure Native American tribe found in the northern woods of New Hampshire and Vermont prior to being wiped out by smallpox. Example: "While on an archaeological dig in Burlington we found some really well-preserved pot shards from the Pecocog's golden age."


  • orose: adj. Slightly blue, nothing too close to indigo. A step down from the more well-known morose, which--unknown to most speakers of English--is a back-formation of orose. Example: "After watching too many French New Wave films I was feeling orose, but perked up when Drumline came on E!"


  • pantier: n. The person who dresses Victoria's Secret models for the annual fashion show. Example: "I swear the pantier was drooling on my hipbones when he was lacing me into that corset."


  • grawes: n. Old English term referring to the back molars. Example: "Me grawes are actin' up. Old Maude says it's from too much chompin' on pig knuckles, but I do love 'em so."


  • rottic: n. Similar to an attic, but with the singular purpose of storing compost. Example: "When you're done with the potatoes, just chuck the peelings into the rottic."

1 comment:

DR SHE BLOGGO said...

PANTIER.

I LOVE YOU.

(Also, just so you know, my captcha for this comment is "squeadi." Make of that what you will.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...