Flip Through

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

With regard to fleeing to the Cleve

Dear readers, I know you've been anxious to hear all the juicy details about our little trip to Cleveland, Ohio this past weekend. Were you mistaken for a model, Diana? you cry. Did you dine with Little Richie? Well, no to both queries. Liz Lemon, you have led me astray! Alas. However, it was a charming trip. We did not get to see too much of the city proper, since the school my beloved will likely be attending is in Independence, OH (about eight miles from the city), but we did take a trip into downtown on Friday night for a stop at the West Side market and the Great Lakes Brewing Company.


Both quite marvelous! The market is HUGE. And full of tasty things to eat. We resisted buying a whole pig (which you can do, at several stalls) and satisfied ourselves with cannoli and an apple fritter. So many delectable things. If we do end up in the Cleve I will be getting my produce from that market. An entire long, looooong skinny building stuffed with fresh produce! Magical! The Brewing Company was also quite nice--yummy pub food and a great selection of microbrews. I can't wait to try one of their many seasonal ales (the film nerd in me is itching for a Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale. Also it just sounds tasty). They also have maybe the largest selection of merchandise I've ever seen, from ANY company that wasn't Disney World. I mean, they have their own chapstick.


Also...there was snow. Serious amounts of snow. As my sister posted on my Facebook wall, Cleveland is currently about the second-snowiest city in the US. SNOW, PEOPLE. I am a poor sad thin-blooded Floridian. Even ice scares me. I exaggerate a bit; it was actually not as cold as I was expecting. I suppose once it gets cold enough to snow, the chill sort of plateaus. Below is the view from our hotel room. Please note the metal handles of the pool:

As you can see, there was quite a bit of white stuff floating around. I admit I tromped outside on Friday morning and played. Presumably the hotel staff were all giggling at me. That reminds me--if you have the opportunity, STAY AT A CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL. Maybe the best hotel experience I've had (though the Sandman in Vancouver was also aces). They have a complimentary shuttle, people. By "complimentary" I don't just mean "will get you to the airport". I mean "will drive you wherever you want to go as long as you tip them". Way better than a cab! Clean rooms, good food, friendly staff as well. Just an all-around good experience. Our thanks, Crowne Plaza and Cleveland. I look forward to seeing you again.

4 comments:

Jared Littleton said...

If you end up making the move up from Florida, know that you've only hit the surface of the culinary delights of Cle! We've got a great restaurant scene here- many of which are within 10 minutes of Independence. I especially recommend the Tremont neighborhood for lots of trendy independents (including one by Iron Chef Michael Symon). Good luck in your search!

Diana said...

Thanks for the tip, Jared! I did hear about Symon's restaurant; though it proved a bit pricey for this trip, the "Tuesday pig roast" at Lola (or maybe Lolita?) sounds amazing.

City of Independence said...

Diana,
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Independence, Ohio. I have lived here for 28 years and if you are looking to relocate in this area, I can honestly say Independence is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Great Schools and superb services. I work at City Hall so if you are ever back in the area, please stop by to receive an Independence Welcome!
Darlynn Velotta

Jared Littleton said...

Lola's is only the most expensive of Symon's restaurants. I've never eaten at that one myself, I've gone to Lolita's and the B-spot. Truth be told, I'd recommend other cheaper places first, but even people outside of CLE know Symon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...