Flip Through

Friday, June 24, 2011

Like Proust but with music instead of madeleines

No, no silly books-to-films today. Instead I want to talk about auditory flashbacks--you know, when you hear a song and then immediately you're on the bus in fifth-grade and that annoying boy is pulling your hair, or whatever. This happens to me reasonably often. Here are a few of the fun ones:


+"Drops of Jupiter" by Train: and BAM I'm sitting in the front seat of my mom's minivan, freshman year of high school. We're driving on 528 to the library and I have The Scions of Shannara in my lap. I have a crush on Morgan of Leah.


+"Mr Brightside" by The Killers: and BAM I'm sitting in eleventh grade AP English Language, and Shelly Mueth is telling me to watch this music video because it reminds her of Moulin Rouge!. I love Moulin Rouge! but I don't like The Killers (still true).


+"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry: and BAM I'm in my grandmother's house, aged seven or so, dancing with my mom and aunts. My oldest uncle has had enough beer that he's talkative. My second-oldest uncle has not yet cut his ponytail off.


+"Don't Phunk With My Heart" by The Black-Eyed Peas: and BAM I'm in a French restaurant basement eating flammekuche, the summer before my freshman year of college. Somewhere there's a radio playing this song; my best friend and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Then we realize that across the room, a guy from our group is singing it. He mimics Fergie like a pro.


+"Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" by the Backstreet Boys: and BAM I'm in Mr Myers' seventh grade World Cultures class. Sarah Lawrence is leaning across the aisle to hug me because we share a favorite BSB song. Her hair is still long.



Do you have any songs that take you to a specific time and place?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid Girl by Garbage it reminds me of a former high school friend that I am glad that I left behind.

Tumblin' Dice- The Rolling Stones- it reminds me of my first concert and seeing them it was epic.To see Mick dancing around and Keith shredding his guitar. I still have the ticket framed with a poster.

Creep-Radiohead it remind of high school and definitely feeling like I was not a part of the so called popular people.

Led Zepplin entire Mothership album is great for listening to while doing my homework and eases the high frustration factor when something does not work.
(The comments kept multiplying and I had to fix it)

Diana said...

Wow, you saw the Rolling Stones live? Epic.

Anonymous said...

Yep I hope do that again someday. I have just about their entire CD collection plus the LP's I bought from Sound exchange of course they are only for decoration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...