Flip Through

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Body Appreciation Sunday: The Liver

Yes, dear readers, it's time to bow down before the mighty liver. I do enjoy drinking alcohol now, much to my mother's dismay, and every now and then "a beer with pals" codes as "two parties and trawling SoHo with guy friends."

Thankfully this doesn't happen often, but it did last night, and so this morning afternoon I'm declaring it Official Liver Appreciation day, complete with libations of Yogi's detox tea. After all, the liver is quite a cool organ--not only does it filter all the alcohol and other garbage dumbasses like me put into it, it plays an important role in metabolism, protein synthesis, and digestion. It also produces bile (yellow or black, I'm not sure. Perhaps Galen can clear that up for you). Best of all? The liver can actually regenerate itself to a certain extent! That myth of Prometheus having his liver torn out by eagles and then growing it back overnight...well, it's still a myth, but the liver is damn cool.



So churn on, liver, and in the future I'll try to treat you a little better!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...